Project profile — Building Community Resilience

Download project profile:



Building Community Resilience - Overview
Canadian Red Cross (CA-CRA_ACR-3119219814)
2011-03-31 - 2015-06-30
Country / region • South Sudan (75.00%)
• Sudan (25.00%)
Sector • Secondary Education
Vocational training (11330) (10.00%)
• Basic Health
Health education (12261) (10.00%)
• Government And Civil Society, General
Democratic participation and civil society (15150) (10.00%)
• Agriculture
Agricultural water resources (31140) (10.00%)
• Agriculture
Food crop production (31161) (40.00%)
• Agriculture
Agricultural extension (31166) (15.00%)
• General Environmental Protection
Environmental education/training (41081) (5.00%)
Policy marker • Gender equality (significant objective)
• Environmental sustainability (cross-cutting) (significant objective)
• Participatory development and good governance (significant objective)
• Youth Issues (significant objective)
• Urban issues (not targeted)
• ICT as a tool for development (not targeted)
• Climate Change Adaptation (not targeted)
• Trade development (not targeted)
• Climate change mitigation (not targeted)
• Indigenous Issues (not targeted)
• Desertification (not targeted)
• Biodiversity (not targeted)
• Children's issues (not targeted)
• Disability (not targeted)
Description and results


This initiative aims to increase the resilience of Sudan's poorest communities by improving food security through agroecological interventions, enhanced livelihoods skills and increased capacity, and engagement of youth. It aims to reach a total of 40,000 beneficiaries. In total, 75% of the project focuses on Eastern Equatoria State in Southern Sudan, with the remaining 25% for Kassala State in East Sudan.

Results achieved

Results achieved in Kassala, Sudan, as of the end of the project (March 2014) include: (1) 1000 farming households received seeds and agricultural tools; (2) 902 community members received training on household gardening; and (3) 298 youth (180 women and 118 men) received vocational training. These activities have helped enhance the capacity of 5,000 individuals to address their food security needs and earn income. Results achieved in Eastern Equatoria State, South Sudan, as of the end of the project (June 2015) include: (1) 4910 farming households received over 8.46 metric tons of seeds, and agricultural tools; (2) 3,150 community members received training on household gardening ; and (3) 87 youth received vocational training through the project. Of these youth, 49 applied their training and earned $52,000 SSP (approximately $11,000 CAN). These results have contributed to increase the capacity of 25,000 individuals to address their food security needs.



Original budget $0
Planned Disbursement $0
Transaction Date Type Value
01-12-2015 Disbursement $424,918
Country Percentages by Sector
Related information

Related information

Building Community Resilience - Related information
Related links
Partner website — Canadian Red Cross
Global Affairs Canada
WGM Africa
Aid grant excluding debt reorganisation
Project-type interventions

The coloured circles represent the number of markers in proximity. Simply click on the circle to zoom in for more information on projects.

2 to 9 markers 10 to 99 markers 100 to 999 markers 1,000 to 9,999 markers

Note: The Project Browser provides access to project data published by Global Affairs Canada in accordance with the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI) standard. This is not meant for official reporting, but to provide information on past and current international projects.

Date modified: