Project profile — Promoting and Protecting the Rights of ASEAN Migrant Workers



Overview 

CA-3-D003314001
$5,500,000
ILO - International Labour Organization (41302)
2016-12-07 - 2024-09-30
Operational
Global Affairs Canada
OGM Indo-Pacific

Country / region 

• Far East Asia, regional (100.00%)

Sector 

• Government And Civil Society, General: Human rights (15160) (100.00%)

Policy marker 

• Gender equality (significant objective)
• Environmental sustainability (cross-cutting) (not targeted)
• Participatory development and good governance (significant objective)
• Trade development (not targeted)
• Biodiversity (not targeted)
• Climate change mitigation (not targeted)
• Climate Change Adaptation (not targeted)
• Urban issues (not targeted)
• Desertification (not targeted)
• Children's issues (not targeted)
• Youth Issues (not targeted)
• Indigenous Issues (not targeted)
• Disability (not targeted)
• ICT as a tool for development (not targeted)

Description 

The project aims to harmonize labour migration governance frameworks in the ASEAN region to maximize the protection of migrant workers and their contributions to equitable and inclusive growth in the region. The project leverages partnerships and sources of financing into a more streamlined, effective delivery model. The project works with policymakers from national ministries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states as well as regional bodies, workers organizations, the private sector, civil society organizations and academic institutions through regional policy dialogue, evidence-based research, capacity development, tool development and the implementation and pilot testing of initiatives. Project activities include: (1) increasing access to social protection for women and men migrant workers; (2) maximizing the social and development impact of migration, with particular emphasis on remittances; and (3) improving regional cooperation and labour mobility opportunities within the ASEAN community. The project is jointly funded by Global Affairs Canada and the Government of Australia.

Expected results 

The expected outcomes for this project include: (1) women and men migrant workers are better protected by labour migration governance frameworks; (2) policies and programmes enable women and men migrant workers to contribute to and benefit from economic and social development; and (3) labour mobility systems are gender-responsive and increase the efficiency of labour markets.

Results achieved 

Results achieved as of March 2022 include: (1) enacted or amended 41 policy and legislative instruments with the International Labour Organization’s technical assistance; (2) trained 41,456 people (44% women) from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states on labour migration governance; (3) developed and disseminated 58 knowledge products to build the evidence base on labour migration within the ASEAN region; (4) provided 190,886 migrant workers (44.5% women) with individualized support services through a network of 24 Migrant Worker Resource Centres, including awards of USD$10,927,466 in compensation for labour rights violations and workplace injuries; (5) trained10,586 migrant workers and their family members on financial literacy or assisted with return and reintegration (56.2% women); (6) reached 3,527,441 persons with research and communications materials, ranging from printed material on migration to social media campaigns; and (7) spent more than 20% of the project activity budget on activities that explicitly benefit women, with the remaining 80% of the budget supporting activities that promote gender equality.

Budget and spending 


Original budget $0
Planned disbursement $0
Transactions
Country percentages by sector
Type of finance Aid grant excluding debt reorganisation
Collaboration type Bilateral
Type of aid Contributions to specific-purpose programmes and funds managed by implementing partners
Date modified: